In this update, we comment on a number of changes that impacted businesses in 2009…
Important updates that we have provided throughout 2009 included...
- Planning for redundancy, which due to the impact of the recession, was one of the hot topics of 2009.
- We also saw an increase in statutory redundancy pay and compensation limits in February of 2009, that may or may not have benefited you.
- The increase in statutory minimum holiday entitlement to 5.6 weeks came into force from 1 April 2009, as did many more new Employment Laws in this month.
- That in certain (albeit limited) circumstances, employees may be entitled to legal representation at internal disciplinary hearings.
- Changes to the Statutory Dispute Resolution Procedures.
- The 2009 Budget.
- Clarification that employees on long term sick leave continue to accrue, and are entitled to take, paid annual leave - see our Holiday Pay FAQ.
- Increases in the number of unfair dismissal claims and redundancy claims before the Employment Tribunal - see the ACAS Report 2008/2009.
- Employees who are sick, prior to or during, are/may be entitled to re-book their annual leave - see further developments.