ACAS has published new guidance to help employers conduct workplace investigations. Prior to taking disciplinary action, it is essential that a proper investigation takes place. A failure to carry out a proper investigation will usually impact on the fairness of any disciplinary sanction that may be imposed and can of itself render a dismissal unfair.
The ACAS guidance sets out:
· When an investigation might be necessary;
· How the investigating officer can prepare for the investigation;
· How the investigating officer should conduct the investigation;
· What other evidence the investigating officer might need to gather as part of the investigation;
· Information about the investigation report that might be prepared;
· The possible outcomes of the investigation, and how the investigating officer should conclude the investigation.
This is useful guidance for managers of all levels of experience and can be read here: